Welcome to Financial Aid at Montana Western!
Our Title IV School Code is 002537
Financial Aid Steps:
1. Fill out your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. The Priority Deadline for timely processing is December 1st BEFORE the start of the new aid year.
2. Once Montana Western receives your processed FAFSA, we will send you a letter containing any additional forms your file requires. Students can also check DAWGS for additional paperwork requirements.
3. Complete any and all paperwork requests in a timely manner- we will not begin to process your aid until we receive the completed forms. If you delay, your aid will be delayed.
4. Once we have received your completed paperwork, we will begin to process your aid. We evaluate and award all files, and we perform a verification process on certain files that the Department of Education selects for audit. This process may take several weeks (6-10 depending on volume) to complete.
5. Once your file has been completely processed, new students will receive an email at the address provided to admissions, to notify you that your award letter is ready to sign on the web. Returning students will receive the email on their DAWGS email. All award letters will be issued online. Instructions are in the email. Please note that it is illegal for anyone other than the student to sign the award letter on the web.
6. If you are taking out student loans, additional steps are required to complete the loan process. Beginning with the 2010-2011 year, the only lender available for federal education loans is the United States Department of Education. Students and parents will no longer have a choice when borrowing Federal Title IV Loans. Instructions on how students sign the Direct Lending Master Promissory Notes and complete Direct Loan Entrance Counseling are online. ALL new borrowers who did not take loans in 2015-2016 will have to sign the MPN and complete the entrance counseling for loans disbursed during the 2016-2017 aid year.
7. If this entire process, including signing the award letter, is not completed before August 1st, it is very unlikely that your aid will be processed by the start of fall term. Students who have not completed the aid process must enroll in the deferred payment plan and make scheduled payments until aid can be processed. Students may be reimbursed once the aid process is complete if their account shows a credit balance after aid is posted.